School Bread is a delicious and light treat that can be found in Epcot. Many guests would say it is one of the many iconic treats that can be found around Epcot. This recipe is one to add to your Disney recipe collection to surprise any guests for any occasion!
2 pints water
3 ounces dry yeast
3 1/2 ounces sugar
3 1/2 ounces butter (melted)
1 teaspoon cardamom
2 pounds flour
1 whole egg
8 ounces shredded coconut
12 ounces vanilla custard (ingredients and recipe follow)
1 2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon corn starch
- In a heavy saucepan bring milk to a boil then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until the mixture doubles by volume. Add milk a few drops at a time.Mix well.
- Place in metal mixing bowl over double broiler, dissolve corn starch in a little water. Sir constantly until it thickens – it must not boil. Cool by placing bowl in ice bath.
- Heat water and butter to 95ºF.
- Mix four, sugar, cardamom, yeast, and egg together for five minutes until dough is stiff.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough and cut into five ounce pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place them on a non-stick sheet pan and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes in 375ºF oven and let cool.
- Mix powdered sugar and water to make icing and place in a shallow pan. Form a hole in the bread using a finger or spoon.
- Dip bread in icing with the hole side down and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Using a pastry bag, squeeze vanilla custard inside of the hole and swirl at the top of the bread for decoration.
Do you love Disney food and all things Mickey-shaped?
Share your delicious snacks with us on Instagram and be sure to tag #SnackSquad to be featured!
Discover Snack Squad T-Shirt from Kingdom Cuisine only on Teespring – Free Returns and 100% Guarantee – “If it’s Mickey-shaped it’s automatically…